901 Main Street Suite 4960 Dallas, TX 75202
With over fifteen years of broad-based litigation and appellate experience, Partner J. Robert (Rob) Skeels is a seasoned trial lawyer who believes that the best defense takes into consideration the clients’ goals and expectations. He considers timely, clear, and actionable responses to client questions to be of paramount importance, and early, regular, and honest evaluations to be the key to developing successful litigation strategies and assessing early resolution potential.
Rob has represented some of the largest and most well-known businesses in the engineering, geotechnical, healthcare, commercial transportation, hospitality, and insurance industries. He has extensive experience in healthcare liability matters, the defense of design professionals, construction, premises liability, commercial transportation, and appellate law.
A 1997 graduate of Baylor University, Rob worked as an environmental consultant in Dallas for several years before attending the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento, California.
While in law school, Rob attended summer international law courses taught by Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy in Salzburg, Austria, where he met his future wife. Rob also worked with the Juvenile Division of the Sacramento County Public Defender's Office while in school. After earning his law degree, Rob successfully passed both the California and Texas bar exams.
Rob lives in the Arlington area with his wife and three young boys. He used to have hobbies but now spends his time away from work as a full-time youth soccer and basketball spectator. He is licensed to practice law in all Texas state courts, and the Federal Eastern, Northern, and Southern District Courts.
In the short time since Ziegler Gardner Bell, PLLC opened its doors in June of 2021, Rob has obtained positive results for design professionals, healthcare facilities, and others.
- Obtained Take Nothing Summary Judgment for lack of medical causation following motion and order excluding Plaintiff’s retained physician in healthcare liability survival and wrongful death case. (Healthcare Liability – Facility Owner, 2022)
- Obtained dismissal and take nothing judgment on nine separate causes of action via a combination of Motions to Dismiss and Summary Judgment in condominium construction project and subsequently recovered attorney’s fees incurred by client. (Professional Liability– Geotechnical Engineer, 2022)
- Obtained early summary judgment and take nothing judgment in personal injury case alleging severe injuries sustained during the construction of a restaurant. (Professional Liability - Code Compliance, 2022)
- Obtained early voluntary dismissal of geotechnical engineer following Motion to Dismiss pursuant to Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code 150 in construction of the Eagle Pass Independent School District Student Activity Center. (Professional Liability–Structural Engineer, 2022)
- Successfully vacated $2.5 million default judgment and subsequently obtained summary judgment and take nothing judgment on two separate cases related to alleged healthcare liability. Recovered attorney’s fees incurred in defense of the claims pursuant to Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code, Chapter 74. (Healthcare Liability – Facility Owner, 2022)
- Successfully obtained take-nothing judgment on summary judgment for lack of standing and capacity in healthcare liability case. (Healthcare Liability – Facility Owner, 2021)
- Obtained early dismissal of third-party defendant structural engineer via Motion to Dismiss pursuant to Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code 150 in case alleging construction and design defects in residential home construction. (Professional Liability– Geotechnical Engineer, 2022)
- Obtained summary judgment and take nothing judgment in favor of geotechnical engineer in commercial construction case involving allegations of deficient foundation pending in Thibodeaux Parish, Louisiana. (Professional Liability – Geotechnical Engineer, 2022)
- Represented healthcare management company in breach of contract case against another healthcare company and obtained seven-figure settlement in a business dispute. (Breach of Contract – Healthcare Management Company, 2022)
- Represented business owner and obtained seven-figure settlement in case involving loss of medical equipment. (Property Damage – Healthcare Facility Owner, 2022)
- Successfully obtained take-nothing summary judgment in healthcare liability case for lack of standing. (Healthcare Liability – Facility Owner, 2021)
- Obtained early dismissal of structural engineer in arbitration proceeding alleging construction and design defects in residential home constriction pursuant to Motion to Dismiss pursuant to Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code 150. (Professional Liability– Structural Engineer, 2021)
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Health Law
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Professional Liability
- State Bar of Texas, 2005
Educational & Professional Background
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2003
- Baylor University, Bachelor of Arts, 1997
- Texas, 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas