Our highly skilled team of legal professionals has decades of experience handling legal matters for design and construction professionals.
ZGB attorneys have served as lead counsel for architects and engineers in major cases
- Lead counsel for highway engineering design joint venture in alleged $40 million cost-overrun case.
- Monitoring counsel for professional liability carriers in alleged $10 billion oil refinery construction and design delay and cost overrun case.
- El Paso Federal Courthouse – lead counsel for an architectural engineering firm on a $7 million delay case.
- Mississippi State University Football Stadium – lead counsel for a structural engineer on multimillion-dollar cost overrun case.
- Hunting Ranch Development, Los Lunas, New Mexico – lead counsel for geotechnical engineer in residential foundation arbitration involving 43 homes.
- Allen High School Eagle Stadium damage – representing construction materials testing firm, 2015.
- Dallas Cowboys Practice Facility Collapse – Won successful settlement for a structural engineering firm in Dallas Cowboys Practice Facility Collapse cases pending in Dallas County, 2012; defending structural engineer in a suit brought by Texas Board of Professional Engineers, 2014.
- Texas A&M University Kyle Field workplace death – representing program manager, 2014.
- Ocean Tower Padre Island High Rise Implosion – Won dismissal for a structural engineering firm in Ocean Tower 31-story luxury high rise on the South Padre Island beachfront, 2011.
- Minute Maid Houston Astros Park Pipe Repairs – Secured favorable resolution of claims against mechanical engineering client in a multimillion-dollar lawsuit by Houston Astros regarding Minute Maid Park.
- Memorial Hermann Hospital Corporate Headquarters Tower (pictured at left) – won a favorable settlement in multimillion-dollar water infiltration lawsuit on behalf of a prominent architectural firm for a minor fraction of overall global, multi-party settlement, 2013.
- Port of Freeport – Won successful settlement for a major geotechnical engineering firm in a $30 million wharf failure lawsuit, 2013.
- Lackland Air Force Base – Won a trial for an architectural engineering firm against U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in a $7 million lawsuit in Federal Court, Washington, DC 2012.
- Marriott Hotel – Won jury trial for an architect in $6 million hotel foundation case, 2014.
- Won favorable result for structural engineer in foundation design case; jury trial resulted in no finding of liability against engineer but $22 million verdicts against contractor, 2014.
- Won trial for architectural engineering firm against public transit authority, 2013.
- Won successful results for an architect in million-dollar arbitration against office suite condominium association and developer, 2012.
- Won appeal for a residential subdivision developer for which the Corpus Christi Court of Appeals held that Plaintiffs’ Certificate failed to establish the claims against Defendants had merit, and that dismissal of all claims was appropriate.
- Won a case of first impression in Texas construction law by securing dismissal for an engineering firm under the recently-enacted Certificate of Merit Statute, March 2004, affirmed on appeal, Palladian Building Co. v. Nortex Foundation Designs, Inc., 165 S.W.3d 430 (Tex. App.– Fort Worth 2005, no pet.).
Representative Healthcare Experience
- Successfully vacated $2.5million default judgment against healthcare entity
- Won a defense verdict in a jury trial which resulted in a take-nothing verdict in a lawsuit in which standard of care was at issue for a nursing home resident who had Stage IV pressure ulcers.
- Successful Jury trial in Dallas County defending nursing home sued for wrongful death and won a very favorable settlement for a nursing home prior to jury deliberations, 2014.
- Won jury trial in a malpractice suit against an assisted living facility.
- Won appeal for a nursing home, award of attorney’s fees on remand in a lawsuit in which the plaintiff sued a nursing home, alleging wrongful death arising from the health care provided to plaintiff’s grandmother.
- Won favorable ruling from the Texas Supreme Court for a nursing home client in a wrongful death case. Omaha Healthcare Center, LLC v. Johnson, 344 S.W.3d 392, No. 08-0231 (Tex. July 1, 2011).
- Won a defense verdict for a nursing home in a wrongful death case where Plaintiffs sought damages up to $1 million.
- Won a unanimous defense verdict for an orthopedic physician assistant in a malpractice suit arising from hip replacement surgery, Dallas, Texas.
- Defense verdict for a national health care provider for a negligence suit brought by the family of a nursing home resident who fell out of bed, 2014.
Business and Commercial Litigation experience
- Representing a global Top 100 architectural engineering firm, reached a settlement in excess of seven figures against a worldwide computer software provider for breach of contract and warranty.
- Won summary judgment for an architectural engineering firm in $5 million lawsuits alleging breach of contract in Federal Court in Houston, 2012.
- Won declaratory judgment and injunction for regional medical imaging firm in trade secret and tortious interference dispute with a national competitor in Dallas.
- Won injunction for a business client in a multimillion-dollar partnership dispute in Dallas.
- Won enforcement of several non-compete agreements and prevention of former employees from unfair competition and misappropriation of trade secrets, Dallas and Tarrant Counties.
Real Estate experience
- Counsel for major homebuilder against development company
- Six Flags Mall Lawsuit. Won dismissal of a million-dollar lawsuit against a real estate broker.
- Downtown Dallas Stone Street/Praetorian Building dispute. Achieved favorable resolution for the historic building owner.
- Statler Hotel Downtown Dallas - Lead counsel for minority owner.
- Westlake (Texas) Entrada. Lead counsel for minority owner.
- Riverfront (Flower Mound, TX) Project. Lead counsel for minority owner.
- Professional liability defense counsel for agents and brokers.